20050716

chilly wonker

So, i went to see the new Johnny Depp/Tim Burton creation Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and I have to say that it's good.

Very clever, funny, modernized version of the classic(s).

I was very excited to see an updated version of the boat trip through the tunnel...and it was good.

Here's my problem. Why? Why is it necessary to make an updated version of an excellent movie with today's stars? We can go on and on and on about this idea of remakes, and it still won't change the fact that the original, in most cases, is better.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great version...but repetitous. A new ending (hooray!) [not a spoiler, but I always enjoyed Gene Wilder's nasty side in Willy, at the end] helps this version, and freshens it, but dang. i'm not sure what i wanted. Depp's great. I guess I wanted a new vision...and i got a revamp. guess i shoulda seen that coming.

Still see it. but i give it an 'ok to rent' thumbs up. doesn't need to be seen in the theater.

check out this link of Depp being interviewed about Charlie.

and is this proof of something?
Depp: Somebody sent me an article where Gene Wilder said, "Why would they remake Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory?" We didn’t remake "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory," we remade (the book) "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." It’s based on the same book they based theirs on. Making a statement that they only made this film because of the money is a really odd statement to make from a guy who has been in the business as long as he has ... all movies were made because somebody somewhere wanted a return on their dollar that they spent. Ultimately it’s a business.
Final say: a great movie this would be if I hadn't seen it before. Gene Wilder (and his songs) rock this version.

8 comments:

smallerdemon said...

Dang, we should have coordinated meetups for ths one. :) We did the 8:40 down at the Metreon (where I invariably did see somone I know).

This was the first opening night movie I have seen since I don't actually remember when. Maybe Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

I'm going to fess up something. I never was that particularly fond of Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory. I like it. It's fine. Gene Wilder is great. It's just never been one that really spoke to me.

This one didn't particularly speak to me, but I will say I liked it better, although there was a bit or two that hit me the wrong way, mostly due to previous movie going this summer (Hitchhiker's Guide - it has an almost identical style elevator in it, which I actaully liked better since it was a rusty old cherry picker cage).

What I absolutely LOVED about this one was the return of Danny Elfman's Oingo Boingo side! Wow! I am amazingly glad he went with that instead of orchestration.

I was also very amused at the very blatant nods to Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas. I could almost heard Deep and Burton having that discussion about Depp doing that tongue thing he did with the adreanaline druge.

I will point out, re remakes, that there is one known instance of a remake outshining the the original spectacularly.

Cement Brunette said...

Damnit, I wanted to see it on Saturday, but someone I was supposed to go with decided they didn't want to see it/and/or spend the money-- so instead we had bloody marys and sushi which gave me the shits.
Damn damn damn.

FranklinMinty said...

this charming man... I'm up for seeing it if you want (btw - i have your b52 tshirt)

Cement Brunette said...

doh! did I leave that in your room. you're lucky I didn't take off my B-52's jock strap!

OK, you're on for Charlie. Name the day!

FranklinMinty said...

yeah - it was in my room

I laundered it and everything!

what about tomorrow for charlie? Tuesday, that is

Cement Brunette said...

I'll call you. Look, Hari's blog has turned into our own persoal message board.

FranklinMinty said...

Wooo!

So much easier than a phone ;)

fizzing hari said...

how amusing! no wonder the madame turned off her comments!

speedtest - careful!

Speakeasy Speed Test